Let me share a dish with you that I just made last month for quarantine social distant Passover. Being that I love to cook and usually host a big gathering on the holiday, I had to figure out something I could make that was affordable, delicious and tastes like the holiday. The socially distant group I dined with were vegetarians, so I really had to be creative. Thus… Tofriskisket was born.
Being a Jewish mom, this is a version of my signature dish, but a lot easier and faster to make. What I loved about this dish, not only did it satisfy the requirements of my vegetarian pals, I could easily make this for my vegan friends as well. It’s packed with flavor, and the shrooms earthiness really adds a lot of meaty yum to the savory dish.
- 1 Cup Red Wine
- 1/2 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Mushroom or Veggie Broth
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 packages hard tofu, Cut into 3rds
- 1 Sweet Onion, sliced
- 2 handfuls of yummy mushrooms like Shitakes and Portabellos, not the regular button mushrooms sliced
- A few springs of fresh rosemary, chopped
- 4 Garlic Cloves (I love garlic, I use more), chopped
- 1 Shallot, sliced
- Salt & Peper
- Olive Oil
Tools: Cast Iron Skillet (any skillet would work but I like the irony taste and searing of a cast iron) and Tongs or Spatula.
- Cut up and prepare ingredients.
- Put pan on medium heat and put in a generous tablespoon of olive oil (shrooms really suck that stuff up)
- Start with onions and shallots and sautee until soft and fragrant. Add garlic and sautee for another 30 seconds. Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Add sliced mushrooms and chopped fresh rosemary. Continue to stir. The object is to marry flavors, not quick fry so lower medium heat works. Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Add wine and continue stirring. Then the rest of the liquid, sugar and salt. Mix together with onions, shrooms. Should be very fragrant. Taste and adjust if you like. I know the way it works for me, I like the red wine to stand out.
- Salt and Pepper Tofu and place in deep dish or tupperware, pour the mixture over it to marinate. Let marinate at least four hours, turning tofu from time to time to ensure it sucks up the juices on all sides. Get all the onions, shallots, garlic and shrooms slathered all over it.
Tofu marinating in the tofrisket sauce and goodies.
7. In the same cast iron skillet, put in some olive oil and heat to medium high, place marinated tofu in to crisp on each side. Turn regularly to ensure crust is even around the tofu chunks. 8. Lower heat to medium low. Pour sauce, onion, shroom mixture over crispy tofu and let heat up and bubble a bit. Makes 6 servings.
SERVE AND ENJOY!